How To Handle Your Fear of Flying
I have a confession, I absolutely hate flying! I know what you’re thinking, but Raijean you are always on a plane. This is true, however I really have a huge fear of flying. It doesn’t matter how many times I get on the plane, I’m always hit with a huge wave of anxiety. As soon as the engine gears up, I go into panic mode! No matter how much I psych myself up to fly it never works. Especially, when we hit turbulence and I know that I’m not the only one! I think for me my fear of flying stems from not being able to be in control. I literally feel like my life is in someone else’s hands and that’s when the crippling fear begins to take over. Since I know first hand that a fear of flying isn’t easy to get over here are a few tips for handling your anxiety when it comes to flying.
- Breathe: I know that this may sound silly but breathing allows me to focus and when I’m focused I’m calmer.
- Get Some Sleep: I never get a lot of sleep before I catch a flight, I find it easier to sleep on the plane because I’m exhausted.
- Pray: This is something that has always calmed my spirit, when a flight isn’t going as smooth as I would like, I turn to prayer.
- Listen to Music: Nothing brings me more peace than listening to my favorite tunes.
- Make Conversation: I find that talking to my neighbor takes my mind off the flight, allowing me to get my mind off my troubles.
These are just a few things that I do that allows me calm my nerves and continue to fly. If all else fails remember statistically it’s safer flying in a plane than it is driving and there is no sense in worrying about something you can’t control. When it’s my time, it’s my time and worrying isn’t going to stop me from flying.
These are some of my tips to get over my fear of flying, what do you do to get over your fear of flying?