Tips for Traveling with Pets
When we got our dog, we never thought about what we would do with him when we travel. Of course, we could always pay for him to stay at some pet hotel or have a friend stop by to check on him. But what do you do when you want to take your pet on vacation with you. When we first starting traveling with our dog, I had no clue about the do’s and dont’s. Sure, I knew we had to make sure the establishment was pet friendly but that’s all I really knew. I learned the hard way when we took our dog with us on a vacation last year but didn’t check the dog in. Hell, I thought as long as the hotel said pet-friendly we were all good. Well, we weren’t and they wanted to charge us $350. After some talking to the manager that was quickly reduced to $50.
So here is what you need to know when traveling with your pet.
- Check to see if the establishment is pet-friendly. Ask what is the pet policy, some hotels charge a clean up fee. Also, make sure you check your pet in, if you don’t this could lead to an even heftier charge.
- Most airlines will allow you to travel with pets, contact the carrier in advance to get their policy as well. Most won’t charge a fee but they must airlines require they be in a carrier.
- Make a travel list for your pet. Don’t forget to bring poop bags, leashes (depending on the pet) and food . I swear every time we don’t make a list, we forget something our dog needs.
- Make sure to get the name and number of a veterinarian close to your destination in case your pet begins to feel ill.
- Make sure your pet is caught up on all their shots/medicine etc., and don’t forget your tags in case your pet gets lost.
Lastly, don’t forget to have fun! We love taking our dog with us. After all he is a member of the family, plus he hates when we leave him. These are just a few tips, do you have anymore to add, leave them in the comments section.